Giant Anthem 1 (2017)
Now $3,499 $4,999
Brought to you by Ivanhoe Cycles Hallam
FROM STEEP CLIMBS TO TECHNICAL DESCENTS, THIS UPDATED XC NINJA LETS YOU DO IT ALL AND DO IT FASTER.
The quick and agile Giant Anthem XC bike is updated this year with a new trunnion-mount Maestro rear suspension system for even smoother trail performance. The new Advanced Forged composite rocker arm adds strength, giving you 110mm of smooth, active rear travel. The lightweight ALUXX SL aluminium frame is engineered specifically for 27.5 wheels and a 120mm suspension fork.
New this year is Boost hub spacing (110 front/148 rear), which impLiv Roves wheel stiffness for added control while adding tyre clearance and improving drivetrain performance. The frame also features Giant?s OverDrive steerer tube for razor-sharp handling, plus a PowerCore bottom bracket for maximum pedalling stiffness and power transfer.
The completely new Giant Anthem 1 2017 is like nothing we?ve ever expected; Maestro leverage ratio re-tuned, more travel, bigger forks, dropper post and Boost. The changes that Giant has made to this bike have taken us by surprise; the new Giant Anthem family is very reminiscent of the Giant Anthem SX _ a blend of the standard Giant Anthem and Giant Trance.
Read on to find out more.
With the progression of XC trails becoming more technical, we?ve seen design changes to bikes that allow them to better cater to this level of technicality. With this knowledge, you can better understand why Giant has made the following changes to the Giant Anthem product:
1. Head angle slackened to 68.0? from 69.5?. This elongates the front centre and adds a significant amount of stability in rough, technical descents.
2. Front fork travel increased from 100mm to 120mm. The extra 20mm of suspension may not sound like a big difference _ but it is. The extra suspension enhances the bikes handling over technical trail sections such as rocks, heavy roots and ruts. One other thing _ it makes the bike a lot more fun. By this I mean it?s a little more forgiving; if you hit a line wrong the bike corrects your mistake.
3. Boost is a new hub standard (yeah, another one). Boost hub spacing increases the hub width to 110mm and 148mm for the front and rear, respectively. Boost is a standard that will become prevalent in years to come because it has 2 distinct advantages: increasing the spoke bracing angle which increases the stiffness of the wheel set, and reducing the chain stay length (rear centre) of the Giant Anthem 1.
Specifically, the Giant Anthem 1 is built with the following key components:
1. A Fox 34 Performance Elite fork with the new FIT4 damper handles front end suspension duties. The transition from 32mm to 34mm stanchions was not expected for the Giant Anthem but it further reinforces the Giant Anthem?s change of direction to a light trial bike. For those not in the know, 34mm stanchions mean impLiv Roved torsional stiffness and therefore better control in technical situations.
A FIT4 damper is a critical component of the Performance Elite Fox family - because the FIT4 damper isolates oil and air. Read that again. This has a massive influence on the performance of the fork; smoother small bump compliance, better control and less maintenance.
2. The new trunnion mount has changed the leverage ratio, so Giant has developed an LV (low volume) version of the Fox Float Performance EVOL rear shock. What the hell does this mean? It means the Giant Anthem 1 has better small bump compliance, better control, and much better active braking. Read that again too. This is a big deal because you want grip braking into a corner or descending over tree roots and rocks. In older suspension platforms, active braking was an issue.
3. Shimano Deore XT M8000 is the latest version of the Deore XT group set. For 2017, the Deore XT cassette has an even larger spread than before with a 46T. The single ring Deore XT crank has DCE (Dynamic Chain Engagement) chain rings which are made from a composite of steel and aluminium. SIL-TEC treatment on the chain minimises friction between the chain and cassette teeth; improving chain life.
4. Giant XCR 1 Composite DBL wheels keep the Giant Anthem 1 2017 light and responsive. These wheels feature a full carbon fibre rim that is tubeless compatible using rims tapes. Internal width measures 25mm, and feature Boost hub spacing. The hubs are fully sealed from the elements. Sapim Laser spokes are double butted; they are thinner in the middle for better shock absorption.
As you can see from the above, it is not just another Giant Anthem, but a totally revamped more versatile cross country/trail bike.
- Item condition: New
- Availability: In-store
- Brand: Giant
- Category: Dual Suspension Mountain Bikes
- Gender: Mens
- Size: Medium
- Frame in inches: 18"
- Colour: Black
- ID: 105776322
- Material: Aluminium
- Riding Style: Cross Country
- Wheel Size: 27.5"
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
- Shimano Deore XT 1x11-speed.
- Giant carbon wheels.
- Fox 34 Performance Elite
- 120mm travel.
Sizes S, M, L, XL
Frame ALUXX SL-grade aluminium, Advanced Forged composite upper rocker, 110mm Maestro suspension
Fork Fox 34 Performance Elite, Fit4 Damper, 15x110mm Kabolt axle, OverDrive steerer, 120mm travel
Shock Fox Float Performance EVOL LV, Trunnion mount
Handlebar Giant Contact Trail, 31.8mm
Stem Giant Contact
Seatpost Giant Contact SL Switch-R, 30.9mm
Saddle Giant Contact Neutral
Shifters Shimano Deore XT
Front Derailleur N/A
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT, Shadow+
Brakes Shimano Deore XT hydraulic disc, [F] 180mm [R] 160mm
Brake Levers Shimano Deore XT hydraulic
Cassette Shimano Deore XT, 11-46T, 11-speed
Chain KMC X11EL 1
Crankset Shimano Deore XT, 32T
Bottom Bracket Shimano, Press fit
Rims Giant XCR 1 Composite DBL WheelSystem; 27mm wide, Tubeless compatible
Hubs Giant XCR 1 Composite DBL WheelSystem; 28h, [F] Boost 110x15mm, [R] Boost 148x12mm
Spokes Giant XCR 1 Composite DBL WheelSystem; Sapim Laser
Tires [F] Schwalbe Nobby Nic, 27.5x2.25, Performance [R] Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 27.5x2.25, Performance
Weight The most accurate way to determine any bike?s weight is to have your local dealer weigh it for you. Many brands strive to list the lowest possible weight, but in reality weight can vary based on size, finish, hardware and accessories. All Giant bikes are designed for best-in-class weight and ride quality.
PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE UNABLE TO SHIP GIANT BIKES DUE TO GIANT AUSTRALIA'S DEALERSHIP RULES
ONLINE ORDERS: We cannot deliver to PO Boxes. Please use a physical address when checking out. Thanks!
Please call to confirm the availability of bikes in your size prior to visiting our store to avoid disappointment.
Customer Service Policy
We are committed to providing exceptional customer service and quality products. We endeavour to make sure that all products listed are currently in stock and pricing is true and correct. Standard delivery time frames are between 3-10 business days; in the event that an ordered item is not available or we are unable to fulfil your order we will notify you within 2 business days to arrange an agreeable alternative item, a back order or a full refund.
Those knicks just don't fit quite right? Give us a call if you'd like to exchange for a different size. You can send your pair back to our store - Australia post offers $7 prepaid bags which will do the trick for minimum expense. Provided your desired size/colour/item is available, and the product is returned to us unused with its original packaging, our friendly staff will arrange to have your replacement put aside and sent out to you as soon as we receive your original order.
All transactions are processed in AUD.